Welcome to my blog. I hike and camp in the mountains of British Columbia, Canada, and I am a professional musician.
Feel free to say hi and have a look around. There's lots of posts about my hikes and various movies from these adventures.
Thanks for coming by, Pete

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Horned Owl Chicks



(1 minute 34 seconds)
Beneath an old fir tree over several weeks I was finding Grey Owl pellets the size of chicken eggs containing their jumbled mix of tiny mouse bones. Something was stirring up there as carcasses would drop to the ground. Various bits of mice, moles, headless rats, even a rabbit's head with a strange expression on it's face like it was thinking how surprising this attack was yet accepting it's fate.

Not far away I climbed up an old cedar stump and was surprised to find three Horned owl chicks so i filmed a bit and quietly left.

4 comments:

Steven said...

Wonderful movie Pete. Thanks for taking us there with you!

Keep trekking!

Steve and Aw

~~ Melissa said...

Funniest faces I've seen in a long time! Was that the mom bird we hear screeching overhead?
I hope you'll be able to photograph an update, assuming they will be nesting a while longer....

Ruth said...

No wonder owls are considered wise. These babies have old, wise looking faces. They look to be a good size. Thanks for sharing a great video clip.

Lovey Dovey said...

What beautiful creatures!! I'm amazed by how close you got to them. Thanks for sharing!